It’s hard to get the right beer from a grocery store. With availability and location as factors, it can be a real pain. This list takes some of the stress away from finding the best beer at Kroger.
Kroger is the second-largest retailer in the U.S. and is primarily located throughout the Midwest and Southern states so you should be able to find a wide variety of popular and delicious beers at your local store. These include Sierra Nevada’s Pale Ale, Blue Moon’s Belgian White, Founders’ All Day IPA, Victory’s Sour Monkey, and more.
Keep reading for the best beers you can pick up at Kroger. You’ll also find out more about the beer, and some tasting notes for the ones that fit your preferred style.
The best beers to look for at Kroger grocery stores
The best beers to look for at Kroger depend on your preferences and taste buds. Luckily, this list will contain a large variety of beer styles – so, you’ll surely find one that suits yours.
Depending on where you are and what Kroger you’re visiting, the selection may vary in styles, brands, and quantity.
Here are the best beers available at Kroger:
- Sam Adams Boston Lager
- Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
- Blue Moon Belgian White
- Angry Orchard Crisp Apple
- Founders All Day IPA
- Birra Peroni Nastro Azzurro
- Victory Sour Monkey
- Voodoo Ranger Imperial IPA
- Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald
- Elysian Space Dust IPA
Samuel Adams Boston Lager
- Style: Vienna Amber Lager
- Brand: Samuel Adams Boston Brewing
- From: Boston, Massachusetts
- ABV: 5%
- Taste: Made with two-row barley and German Noble hops, this beer features a slightly sweet, roasted with notes of caramel and honey. It has a smooth, dry finish with a pleasant citrusy bitterness.
- Why you should try it: This craft beer pioneer introduced many people to the idea craft beer itself. It’s delicious and versatile, making it an easy pickup at your next Kroger visit.
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
- Style: American pale ale
- Brand: Sierra Nevada Brewing Company
- From: Chico, California
- ABV: 5.6%
- Taste: This pale ale is made with two-row pale and caramelized malt, cascade hops, and ale yeast. It is pale and citrusy with an upfront hoppy taste and smell and a peppery bitterness.
- Why you should try it: This beer is one of the most renowned beers of its style. If you haven’t tried it, give it a go. If you’ve already dabbled in it, they say to try everything twice.
Blue Moon Belgian White
- Style: Wheat/white beer (witbier)
- Brand: Blue Moon Brewing Company (MillerCoors)
- From: Denver, Colorado
- ABV: 5.4%
- Taste: Brewed with Valencia orange peel and coriander, this beer has a sweet orange, citrus taste with very subtle spiciness. It is traditionally served with an orange peel to heighten citrus flavors.
- Why you should try it: Blue Moon Belgian White is a great year-round beer that can be paired with various occasions and foods. It’s a good fit for any beer drinker.
Angry Orchard Crisp Apple
- Style: Hard cider
- Brand: Angry Orchard, Boston Beer Company
- From: Walden, New York
- ABV: 5%
- Taste: This cider is made with select apples for a refreshing and complex flavor and tastes like a sweet apple. It has a well-balanced dryness for easy drinking.
- Why you should try it: Unlike most beers, this cider is gluten-free, and perfectly sweet. It is known nationwide as the go-to cider, and for good reason, including that it uses apples grown from its own 60-acre orchard.
Founders Brewing All Day IPA
- Style: Session India pale ale
- Brand: Founders Brewing Company
- From: Grand Rapids, Michigan
- ABV: 4.7%
- Taste: This IPA features a “complex array of malts, grains and hops.” It is not overwhelming with a clean and crisp finish with balance and sharp taste.
- Why you should try it: Founders All Day IPA won the gold medal at the 2014 Australian International Beer Awards. With other medals to show, this beer is one of the best representations of a session IPA.
Birra Peroni Nastro Azzurro
- Style: Pale lager
- Brand: Birra Peroni, Asahi Breweries
- From: Rome, Italy
- ABV: 5.1%
- Taste: This beer is light and fresh with a slight sweetness and a rice-like aroma. It is best for the Mediterranean palette.
- Why you should try it: Nastro Azzurro does well to represent European lagers. It has a balanced taste and is one of the best and most popular imports in the market.
Victory Sour Monkey
- Style: Sour
- Brand: Victory Brewing Company
- From: Downingtown, Pennsylvania
- ABV: 9.5%
- Taste: This beer is sour with a citrus aroma and is brewed with Pilsner malt with a citrus end courtesy of Tettnang hops. It is sour enough to make your lips pucker.
- Why you should try it: Victory’s Sour Monkey is a one of a kind beer. It is exceptionally sour but also balanced. It packs a punch and is a must try for all beer drinkers.
Voodoo Ranger Imperial Ipa
- Style: Imperial India pale ale
- Brand: Voodoo Ranger, New Belgium Brewing Company
- From: Fort Collins, Colorado
- ABV: 9%
- Taste: This beer is brewed with an assortment of hops, with pale and black malt. It uses ale yeast and boasts 70 IBUs, making it a bitter choice.
- Why you should try it: This is a delicious and unique beer from New Belgium and Voodoo Ranger. If you like strong, bitter, and hoppy beers, this one’s for you.
Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald
- Style: Porter
- Brand: Great Lakes Brewing Company
- From: Cleveland, Ohio
- ABV: 6%
- Taste: Brewed with a Two-row malt base and Crystal 77, it includes Northern Brewer, Willamette, and Cascade hops. It has a mild IBU of 37. It is dark and semi-sweet with chocolate and coffee notes.
- Why you should try it: Great Lakes is exclusive to the Northwest U.S. If you find any of its products, you should get your hands on it – it’s delicious!
Elysian Space Dust IPA
- Style: India Pale Ale
- Brand: Elysian Brewing
- From: Seattle, Washington
- ABV: 8.2%
- Taste: Made with Chinook, Citra, and Amarillo hops, this beer uses Pale, C-15, and DextraPils malts. It’s more bitter than most with 73 IBUs. It has a medium body and full mouthfeel with a clean and crisp taste. It contains notes of citrus and pine.
- Why you should try it: Elysian Space Dust is an established IPA for its great taste. Fun fact: galaxy hops were spontaneously introduced to the brew before its first completion. Hence, Space Dust.
Stone Hazy IPA
- Style: Hazy India pale ale
- Brand: Stone Brewing Company
- From: Escondido, California
- ABV: 6.7%
- Taste: This beer is brewed with El Dorado, Azacca and Sabro hops. It has plenty of citrus and fruity notes in both the nose and taste. It is super hazy and full with a smooth mouthfeel.
- Why you should try it: One of Stone’s newer beers, it was released in August 2021. If you like Hazy IPAs, this is a must try. Get one at a Kroger near you.
For the web story version of this article click here!