As the world’s fifth-largest retailer Costco is where you can find many different things in bulk, including beer – even local craft beers. So what beers should you pick up on your next Costco run?
A Costco membership gives you access to more than just their house-brand products. Among other things, you can purchase a wide variety of beers. While options vary by region, many Costco locations offer popular beers from well-known craft breweries, including New Glarus, Sierra Nevada, and Rogue. Look for local offerings at your local Costco.
While there is a wide range of great craft beers in the world not all of them are carried by Costco. Below are some of the best craft beers at Costco to give you a good idea of what you might find.
Topics We Cover
The best beers to look for at Costco
Costco is a great place to get wholesale prices on nearly anything you could want. Most of the time my wants include beer so it’s a good thing that Costco offers beer as well.
Unfortunately, the selection is often rather limited. It also varies by location so a standard on my Costco shopping list may not be sold at yours. Be sure to check your local Costco for available beers.
Still, you can find some great craft beers at Costco. I’ve compiled a list of the best craft beers available at Costco, although I haven’t included any selections from the Kirkland’s Signature line.
Here are the best craft beers available at Costco:
- Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
- Samuel Adams Boston Lager
- Belching Beaver Peanut Butter Milk Stout
- Maui Brewing Pineapple Mana Wheat
- New Glarus Raspberry Tart
- Sierra Nevada Hazy Little Thing
- Two Brother’s Ebel’s Weiss
- Summit Brewing Oatmeal Stout
- Pizza Port California Honey
- Rogue Hazlenut Brown Nectar
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
- Style: American Pale Ale
- Brand: Sierra Nevada Brewing Company
- From: Chico, California
- ABV: 5.6%
- Taste: This beer is known for its notes of citrus, pine, and some caramel. The hop bitterness is present, but not overwhelming.
- Why you should try it: Those who know their craft beer history will recognize this beer. Those who don’t can get a taste of history with this American Pale Ale. This beer helped spark American craft beer brewing and is credited with creating the APA style.
Want to know what other Pale Ales you should be drinking in 2022? Check out this article.
Samuel Adams Boston Lager
- Style: Vienna Amber Lager
- Brand: Samuel Adams Boston Brewing
- From: Boston, Massachusetts
- ABV: 5%
- Taste: This lager is slightly more hop-forward than others in the style. The taste brings malty breadiness with some caramel and toffee. The Hallertau and Tettnang hops add some spice to prevent the malt from overpowering.
- Why you should try it: Samuel Adams is a popular brewery for good reason. Their Boston Lager is a great example of the style. It is a great beer to pick for any meal or even just a night out. This beer and its hand-selected ingredients won’t disappoint.
Are you unfamiliar with the ever-popular Sam Adams Boston Lager? Check out this article to find out why you should give it a try!
Belching Beaver Peanut Butter Milk Stout
- Style: Sweet/Milk Stout
- Brand: Belching Beaver
- From: San Diego, California
- ABV: 5.3%
- Taste: The primary flavor notes in this beer are peanut butter and roasted grains. They are supported by some hints of coffee flavors. These flavors develop into a sweet chocolate finish.
- Why you should try it: Milk stouts like this one are perfect for an after-dinner drink. It is very flavorful while still being quite easy to drink. Choose this beer from Belching Beaver when you want something different to shake it up.
Maui Brewing Pineapple Mana Wheat
- Style: American Pale Wheat
- Brand: Maui Brewing Company
- From: Kihei, Hawaii
- ABV: 5.5%
- Taste: Like the Maui pineapples it is named after, this beer is sweet with notes of tropical fruit, wheat, and some tartness. Overall, it goes down smooth and refreshing.
- Why you should try it: The Maui Brewing Company has captured Maui in a bottle with this brew. If you need a taste of Hawaii this is the beer for you. This simple beer will have you thinking of golden sands.
New Glarus Raspberry Tart
- Style: Fruit Beer
- Brand: New Glarus Brewing Company
- From: New Glarus, Wisconsin
- ABV: 4%
- Taste: It should not come as a surprise that the main flavor of this beer is raspberry. It is sweet with some contrasting tartness. From start to finish, you will taste Oregon raspberry juice.
- Why you should try it: This beer from New Glarus Brewing is certainly the most unique beer on this list. There’s no better way to describe it other than alcoholic raspberry juice. It is light and refreshing.
Sierra Nevada Hazy Little Thing
- Style: New England India Pale Ale
- Brand: Sierra Nevada Brewing
- From: Chico, California
- ABV: 6.7%
- Taste: This Hazy Little Thing starts with some tropical fruits that develop into hop bitterness at 35 IBUs. There is also some smooth maltiness to balance out the fruitiness. This beer ends smoothly with some yeast flavors.
- Why you should try it: If you’re not a fan of IPAs this Hazy Little Thing will do its best to change your mind. It is endlessly drinkable while still scratching that IPA itch. Even IPA lovers will enjoy this beer for its juicy hops.
Do you like Hazy Little Thing and want to try more like it? Check out this article for the best New England IPAs to drink in 2022.
Two Brother’s Ebel’s Weiss
- Style: Hefeweizen
- Brand: Two Brother’s Brewing Company
- From: Warrenville, Illinois
- ABV: 4.9%
- Taste: Like any good hefeweizen this beer has notes of banana and clove. It also brings vanilla, some malt sweetness, and lemon into play. The malt presence is a soft wheat.
- Why you should try it: Ebel’s Weiss is a tasty Illinois tribute to the German hefeweizens. It is a smooth beer for any occasion. Choose this beer if you are looking for a nice sessionable beer.
Summit Brewing Oatmeal Stout
- Style: Oatmeal Stout
- Brand: Summit Brewing Company
- From: St Paul, Minnesota
- ABV: 5%
- Taste: Brewed with 2-row pale, caramel, crystal, and of course oats, this is a dark sweet beer. The primary flavor notes are oats, caramel, chocolate, and roasted malts. It has a full creamy body.
- Why you should try it: You will have a hard time finding a smoother creamy bodied beer than this oatmeal stout. This Minnesota beer is perfect for taking your time and enjoying every sip.
Pizza Port California Honey
- Style: Blonde Ale
- Brand: Pizza Port Brewing
- From: Solana Beach, California
- ABV: 4.8%
- Taste: This blonde ale is made with local Californian honey to add a touch of extra sweetness. Despite the addition of honey, this beer isn’t overly sweet. It tastes of honey, some fruitiness, and a light breadiness.
- Why you should try it: While it is a simple brew, California Honey is a well-balanced blonde ale. It pairs well with almost anything. It goes especially well with pizza.
Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar
- Style: Brown Ale
- Brand: Rogue Ales
- From: Newport, Oregon
- ABV: 5.6%
- Taste: Made with plenty of fermentables and additives, including coffee and hazelnut extract, this beer is a great brown ale with nutty complexity. Its main tasting notes are hazelnut, roasted malts, a touch of sweetness, and toffee.
- Why you should try it: This Brown Nectar is a great full beer for those who want a nice mix of sweetness and bitterness. The addition of hazelnut takes your standard brown ale and adds some delightful depth.
Does Costco sell single beers?
Costco does not sell beers individually. The wholesaler will sell beer in packs ranging in size. Some packs are as large as 36 beers.
If you are making a quick beer run and looking for just a few beers, Costco is not the place to go.
Does Costco sell variety packs?
You can buy variety packs of beer at Costco. The beers in the variety packs are typically all from the same brewery.
The packs available at your local Costco will vary depending on what beers they stock.
Does Costco ever have beer sales?
Costco is well known for having low prices for various reasons. Discounts on beer would be a great addition to this reputation.
Not only are Costco beer prices lower than other retailers, but they will also occasionally have sales. The beers on clearance will have an asterisk on the label that denotes the reduced price.
Is Costco’s Kirkland beer good?
Taste is very subjective, but Costco’s Kirkland beers are considered average. Since they are brewed by different breweries on the East and West coasts you may taste some variation.
However, the Kirkland light beer was considered awful to the point that it was discontinued. This hasn’t happened to the other Kirkland beers which is a point in their favor.